- Marilyn Monroe, Actress, New York City, May 6, 1957, 1957
- Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer, physicist, Princeton, New Jersey, December 11, 1958
- Emilien Bouglione, circus performer, Cirque d'Hiver, Paris, July 30, 1955
- Gabrielle Chanel, couturiere, Paris, France, March 6, 1958
- Peggy Daniels, Cashier, Giddings, Texas, May 7, 1981
- The Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Waldorf Astoria, suite 28A, New York, April 16, 1957
Richard Avedon is one of the most important portrait photographers of the 20th Century. By the end of his career, he had photographed some of the most important artists, intellectuals, celebrities and icons of the age as well as working class Americans for one of his most important personal projects ‘The American West’.